Monday, January 13, 2014

The Beginning

Bridge from Shenzhen to HK on a clear day.
A new year means a new blog, not only because my last blog had 2013 in the title, but because each new year brings a fresh outlook on life. It inspires a new perspective and of course, a short look back over the past year. I blog mostly to keep track of our travels and experiences, to keep people back in the States up to date with our lives. I like to go back and review my blogs sometimes because I can relive and remember the moments so much clearer. My true wish is that someday, Paul will read these and know what it was like to take him all over the world. He's too young to remember a lot of what we do and where we go, so hopefully this will be something he'll be able to enjoy. If not, it satisfies my urge to journal, which I've been doing for 15 years.

So here begins another year in the life of the Hales. So much changed in 2013 that it's hard to fathom a more significant year than the one that just ended. This time last year I was dreaming of teaching abroad, making steps to make that dream come true. Somehow it happened, and now here I sit in Shenzhen, China. I still marvel at the amount of work and effort it took to get to this place, both emotionally and physically. It's been about 5 months since we moved across the Pacific ocean, and we are slowly starting to feel at home. I think by the time the school year ends we'll be better settled in. :)

My thoughts and our actions may seem mundane some weeks, but by keeping track of the events and sharing them, I hope you feel a part of our lives. Being apart from so many loved ones can make us feel disconnected, but hopefully you are more connected through this blog.

Whatever 2014 brings, be it boring, exciting, scary or thrilling, I promise to do my best to record it here for you and for our family. Thanks for reading...more to come...love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment