Saturday, March 8, 2014

A Day in Luohu

Los Dos Duos +1(minus me)
It's been another blurry week, Monday through Thursday were busy, busy with work, meetings and running. Thursday was a welcome break from the routine with our return to quiz night, and Dad eve had the opportunity to join us. It was going smoothly until the last round, but still fun to introduce Dad to some more work people and relax for what felt like the first time this week.  Unfortunately, later that night Paul woke up with a horrible sounding cough, which alarmed us so much that we stayed home Friday to take him to the doctor.
Introducing the LCC

The doctor thought we were crazy because Paul didn't cough once while we were there and his fever had also faded, but he gave us some meds and said come back if it doesn't get better. We ran a few more errands, then headed home for a quiet evening at home.

Paul was feeling a little better so we went ahead with our plan to meet Dad out in Luohu to show him the craziness of the LCC and Dafen Artist Village. We grabbed a cab and met him at his hotel, then jumped on the subway over to the LCC.

We were actually earlier than it's opening time (11am), so there were very few shops open. Dad got the effect with the constant invitations to buy bags and watches, but we didn't stay long. Paul had a meltdown and we couldn't focus on the intense job of picking and bargaining for goods. We decided to cut our losses and head for Dafen.

Making Noodles
He liked it, right?
Paul fell asleep in the stroller en route to Dafen, so the journey was smooth. We got there and wandered around the alleys looking for some food to fill our empty stomachs until we finally found a Muslim noodle shop that I'd never noticed before. I ordered us some food, and we joined a table of some lunching Chinese men, and waited for our feast. I think I've mentioned Muslim noodles before, but just to recap, it's called Muslim noodles because they are noodles made fresh at the shop and the shop is owned by Muslims. I love them, Donnie is not such a huge fan, he prefers ramen noodles, but Dad had never had them so we dug into my selections. I think he liked them. :)


Dad, look out for The Hulk!
With our stomachs full, we wandered around looking at all the galleries and different styles of paintings. It's kind of relaxing just taking it all in, not searching for anything specific. We saw a few things we liked, but didn't buy anything. The weather took a turn for the worse, and Paul was awake and hungry, so we called it a day. But not before Paul took an epically long ride on a strange fish merry-go-round with Donnie.

Strange... but fun!
We stopped at the mall at Dad's stop on the metro and did some shopping, then bid farewell to Dad, and headed home in a taxi. Paul was happy to get home, and so was I, but there is little relaxing to be done with a wound up 3 year old. All of the energy he reserved in the stroller today is being unleashed tonight. ;)

The lost art of Dafen
Tomorrow is our last day with Dad until he comes again. It's so comforting knowing that we'll see him again so soon. I think we'll have fun exploring Shenzhen whenever he comes to visit. :) Hopefully the weather cooperates with us tomorrow.

Home relaxing.











On another note, I turn 30 in 3 days.

I had a friend ask me if I was ready. I thought about it for a second, and I told her that my first 30 years have been filled with traveling the world, falling in love, learning, growing, teaching, and starting a family. I've really been lucky in my life so far. Turning 30 doesn't scare me or make me anxious or make me feel like I haven't done enough with my life. I feel older, yes, but these years have prepared me for all that is to come, and I truly believe, as beautiful as my life has been so far, the best is yet to come.

Cheers to all the love, friends and family that have made me who I am. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment